Sunday, May 5, 2013

The Tragical History of the Life and Death of Doctor Faustus

I don't know if some of you noticed that the center picture changed on my cover photo.  And even if you did you might not realize the significance.

Early in the campaign I was bragging about playing the pope in Dr. Faustus.  Sadly this is no longer the case.  What is the case is that I am playing Dr. Faustus.  Now that's cool.

I mentioned somewhere in this blog that I have never had a crack at any of Marlowe's work, let alone Faustus and I'm excited about the chance to do this role.  This is the original deal with the devil play.  Something I can really sink my teeth into.

And I can't wait to see what Tristan and the crew come up with for this piece.  *claps hands*

On a related tangent, I was recording a song with a friend, one Long Beach Huntington, in his garage studio and I saw this piece.


It spoke to me as something that felt Medieval and Necromantic.

In fact it is a piece by artist Paul Hogue on the theme of Signal Hill in the LBC.  He is a local artist who was recently voted Artist of the Year for Long Beach in 2013.  He uses all recycled materials and I dig his vibe man.  Signal Hill had a lot of bars that served oil field workers so that's the theme of the piece.  But man there's gotta be something deliciously Hellish in that.

Didn't one of those oil field boys invent Conan the Barbarian to escape from the horrors of working in those pits?  I think that's right.  And he died very young.  But that was in Texas.  And in no way germane to this discussion.  And I'm probably making it up anyway.

I guess the long and the short of it is I'm very excited to be playing Dr. Faustus.  And Bottom.  And Caliban.

It's gonna be a great summer for my inner artist!

*rubs hands and licks chops*

Best,

M

Funding:                    82%
Days to OH:              9

No comments:

Post a Comment