Thursday, March 21, 2013

A Word about Grace

Hello Everyone.

I’d like to take a moment to riff on something that the Summer Shakespeare Sojourn Subsidy Project has brought up in its early days.

I’ve had a few people effusively apologize for not being able to donate or for not being able to donate more.  And I just want to say that I get it. 

More importantly I want to remind you that you have absolutely no reason to apologize to me. 

Believe me.  I understand. The simple fact is that if I were financially solvent through my artistic endeavors, I would have never decided to attempt this oblique method of funding. 

But because I have, I have been pulled into a cycle of love. 

I don’t use that word lightly. 

Yes, people who can have been able to donate, often far more than I would have expected, some have even told me to ask for more if I’m short at the end of the fund drive.  That is incredible and it has surpassed my wildest hopes.

Others have given me the last few dollars from their wallets with me double-checking about their well-being before adding it to the fund.

Still others have told me how much they wish they could help.

This matters too.  The encouragement matters. 

It helps me to understand that it is a good thing to Ask. It is a good thing to Give.  It is a good thing to be Grateful.  And that gratitude is for whatever a person can give.

I’ve said it several times in the last few days, but your Endorsements mean a lot.  This project is legitimized when other people say that it is worthwhile.  Don’t underestimate that.

Your re-posting, your re-tweeting, your reading my blog or discussing the SSSS by word-of-mouth; your simple encouragement and acceptance pays dividends and I am truly fortunate to have it.

So, please remember, if all you can offer is a kind word, or an awesome photo (as one friend sent to me in lieu of hard currency), it is deeply appreciated as it makes me feel so as well.

Let’s see how many people we can reach!

Onward.

Best,

M

No comments:

Post a Comment